Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Observing Conversations


Thanksgiving break was filled with conversation, both good and bad. One conversation between my grandma and my mom stuck out from all the rest. The two were arguing about how to cut the turkey. The simplest of tasks turned into a complicated acquired technique. My grandma’s dialogue when explaining why her method was better than my mom’s enclosed perfect examples of ethos, pathos, and logos. My mom was saying it would make the turkey more flavorful and juicier to keep it whole and cut slices as needed. Here my mom was trying to appeal to senses and therefore our emotions. My grandma instantly jumps in and states her credibility, “I’ve done this for over 40 years, I know how to cut a turkey thank you very much”. After she proves that she is knowledgeable in the subject, my grandma appealed to the family emotionally by saying once she is gone we can cut all the turkey we want, in any fashion we desire. Yes it was a shady blow but it got our attention. Finally my grandma used her years of wisdom and logic to explain why her idea of cutting the turkey individual parts and then slicing it was a better method. As you can see even the smallest most pointless conversations you can get a point across using ethos, pathos, and logos in the correct manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment